Work on Cave Neck Road-Route 1 intersection improvements is scheduled from Monday, April 19, to Thursday, June 3. The Route 1 northbound left-turn lane onto Cave Neck Road will be lengthened, as will the Route 1 southbound left-turn lane for the crossover south of Cave Neck Road in front of the Red Mill Inn.
Workers will remove the flexible delineators and construct a more permanent configuration by placing concrete islands and removing portions of the old pavement. Traffic patterns and turning movements will not change.
Also included in the project is installation of 19 new pole lights, primarily in the Route 1 median.
The crossover safety improvements are scheduled to be completed by Friday, May 7, and the light installation project is set to finish by Thursday, June 3. In May and June, no work will occur on Fridays or weekends.
Over the timeline of the projects, lane closures and detours will take place.
• The Cave Neck Road-Route 1 crossover will be closed from 8 a.m., Monday, April 19, to 8 a.m., Friday, April 23.
• Cave Neck Road eastbound from Hudson Road to Route 1 will be closed from 6 a.m., Monday, April 26, to 5 p.m., Friday, April 30. Detour signage will be posted for motorists. At all times, residents will have access to their homes but may need to take the posted detour route; motorists on eastbound Cave Neck Road will be directed onto Hudson Road northbound to Eagles Crest Road to Route 1.
• Route 1 southbound right lane will be closed at Cave Neck Road from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday, April 26, to Thursday, April 29.
• Route 1 southbound shoulders will be closed for the duration of the project, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday to Thursday, from Monday, April 19, to Thursday, June 3.
• Nighttime lane closures may occur from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m., Monday to Thursday, from Monday, April 19, to Thursday, June 3.
Motorists should anticipate lane shifts and reduce speed in work zones on Route 1 northbound/southbound and Cave Neck Road, using caution for the safety of construction crews. The Delaware Department of Transportation contractor doing the projects is George & Lynch.
Construction of a grade-separated interchange with overpass at the Route 1/Cave Neck Road is scheduled to begin in 2025 and be completed in 2026.