Rory Staunton, 12, was diving for a ball in gym class on a typical school day, but wiped out. As he dived, he realized he had cut himself.
He showed the cut to his teacher but the teacher chose not to send Rory to the school nurse’s office, and just applied two Band-Aids across the cut. He never sanitized the cut.
One day later, Rory had pain in his leg and a 104-degree fever. Rory was taken to his pediatrician, but was directed to the emergency room at NYU Langone Medical Center. Read the full story here ▶