Press "Enter" to skip to content

Poll: Florida GOP Gov. DeSantis’ approval rating climbs in the new year

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ approval rating among state residents has increased early 2021, according to a new survey.

A Mason-Dixon Polling & Strategy survey shows DeSantis with a 53 percent approval rating and a disapproval rating of 42 percent.

A Mason-Dixon survey conducted last July found him with a 45-percent job-approval rating, with 49 percent of voters having an unfavorable view of his job performance favorably.

DeSantis has gained national, as well as state-wide, approval for his efforts to keep coronavirus numbers low while largely keeping open the Florida economy.

As sign of DeSantis’ popularity, at least among the GOP’s conservative base, was clear Sunday in the Conservative Political Action Conference’s annual presidential straw poll. He finished second behind former President Trump, and first in a poll that did not include Trump in a hypothetical 2024 race. 

The new poll also shows DeSantis is in a strong position to win his reelection next year as governor.

In hypothetical scenarios for the 2022 gubernatorial election, DeSantis fairs well against state Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried and Democratic Rep. Charlie Crist.

Against Fried, DeSantis leads the polling with 51 percent to to Fried’s 42 percent, with 7 percent of respondents remaining undecided. DeSantis’ chances increase against Crist, polling at 52 percent to just 41 percent for Crist.